Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Jan 19 16:28:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 06:13:36AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > I *could* just use a text file arranged in columns but that gets clumsy
> > for resizing columns etc. plus I'd have to write code to extract the
> > data in ways I wanted it.  A database provides much of the basic tools I
> > want but without simple data entry I'm a bit stuck.  I guess I might
> > look into ways and means of converting from some other format (e.g. a
> > table in a wordprocessor) which makes the editing easy, to and from the
> > database.
> ----
> not that I would recommend this as practical but PgAdmin3 is a full GUI
> interface to postgres tables and you can edit in grid view but like
> above, it's overkill (and a little buggy).

I've installed and played with PgAdmin3, it's very nearly what I want
but has one major disadvantage and one minor disadvantage:-

    There's no direct way to the table data editing mode, one has to
    click through several menus loading the database etc.  There aren't
    command line options to take one directly to the editing grid.

    There's a stupid splash screen that you can't turn off that wastes a
    couple of seconds every time you start the program.

--
Chris Green