Multiple issues: LDAP/LightDM/SLIM/Unity

Stephan Schöffel schoeffel at fh-bingen.de
Thu Jan 19 14:00:01 UTC 2012

Hi there,

I'm facing a couple of issues on 11.10 that are related to one another.
Inititally I tried to let users authenticate themselves against LDAP.
This does work properly with LightDM. The login manager seems to connect
to the LDAP server and even shows the correct name entries for that
user. Upon login though, the screen becomes black for one or two seconds
and than returns to the login screen. I switch login manager to SLIM.
This let's users login to a unity desktop. But then users no longer are
able to reboot/shutdown the machine. After hitting reboot/shutdown the
user is just logged out and is back at the SLIM loginscreen. Any
suggestions?

--Stephan