fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN <SOLVED> now broken again.

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 19 04:29:56 UTC 2012

On 19/01/12 15:04, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 01/18/2012 07:08 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
[pruned]

>> Awww, you give up too easily. What's happened to that Ric "Mohammad Ali"
>> Moore that we all got to love? :-)
>
> It's all part of my "Anger Management" scheme to back off, especially
> if overt violence would serve no useful purpose (ie: useful anger is
> getting worked up and red-faced to start a flooded lawnmower).
> Otherwise I'd smack it with a ten-pound hammer, in John Henry fashion.

Aaah, forget all about that psykolologikal crap and let it rip! Does a
man a power of good!

> I just tried my Maxtor 200 gig SATA drive on this crappo hardware pile
> and the board refused to beep. SOB, I hope I didn't brick the damn
> drive too when the MB gave out. Anyone know how to get a Maxtor
> drive's little pc board replaced?? If I could tolerate alcohol, I'd
> get smashed. Way too much PC-woes drama lately for my short fuse. :) Ric

I've had nothing no beeps from my wife's computer's mobo over the past
days :-( , but I finally tamed the beast :-) .

There is no reason why plugging in just the drive should result in no
beep - however, there are 2 things to think about (as I experienced same
about 12 months ago): first is that, provided that the HD is functional,
the PSU's 12-volt (at least one of them, that is) has failed/is failing
and you need a new PSU; and second have you tried switching off the PSU
(its on/off switch at the *back* of the computer), waiting for 20-odd
seconds then switching it back on and then rebooting? I learnt this last
trick with my wife's system where the mobo is failing as I mentioned to
you and the only way I could get it to beep was to do what I just described.

BC

--
It is in the nature of things that every time you try to avoid one danger you run into another.
                            Niccolo Machiavelli