fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN <SOLVED> now broken again.

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 00:19:58 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 06:45 PM, Johnny wrote:
> Will 11.10 support a floppy? You will have to mount it if it does. If it
> is so old it doesn't have a usb port you should probably call it dead.
> Good Luck and God Bless Johnny3 65++
>
> On 01/17/2012 05:36 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

>>> With the problem being so variable is it possible that you have a
>>> hardware problem? Perhaps the drive is on the way out, or something
>>> on the mother board.
>>
>> My main board in for repair is an AMD. That's all I'[ve run for years.
>> This is my first Intel MB, and it's given me nothing but fits. Any
>> more of this and I'll be pronounced "king" for St Vitus Day. Maybe
>> I'll install the 3/1 inch floppy drive and flash this thing, just for
>> ducks. The DVD player fired up "Dick Tracy and Nancy Drew" like a
>> champ. Yeah... don't say it, although they don't make 'em like Nancy
>> anymore. :) But it really hates Arnold and Hogwarts. If it won't play
>> Monty Python, Ill take a hammer to it. Will 11.10 support a floppy?? Ric

Now it won't fire up Nancy Drew! I checked everything, all the
connectors are connected correctly. I checked the bios, no problems
there with regards to the drives. The harddrive is pin selected to
"Master", the DVD is pin selected as "slave", the 80-wire IDE connector
is set with the DVD in the middle and the harddrive to the end.

The DVD sees a data disk, aoutomounts it with no prob. I just checked.
I made sure that /dev/dvd /dev/cdrom and /dev/sr0 are chowned
root:cdrom. I am part of that group. Could there be another point that
the DVD could be set to other than /dev/sr0 ? The problem must be in
there somewhere. Ric