Looking for a 'grid' data entry tool for sqlite (or maybe mysql)

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Jan 17 19:25:23 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 12:00 PM, Chris Green wrote:
> I'm after an application which will allow me to enter data into a sqlite
> database using a 'grid' layout of the data.  I.e. I want the existing
> contents of the database displayed as a table and I want to be able to
> click on a field in a row and just edit the data in place.  In addition
> I want to be able to use the TAB key to move from field to field
> (another key would be OK, just not the mouse).  There should be an empty
> row at the bottom for entering a new row.
>
> I'm happy to use a design tool of some sort to do this although a ready
> made application would be easier/quicker of course.  I don't want to
> code the whole thing from scratch though.
>
> What I want is what MS Access calls a tabular form in its design wizard
> and is also what it presents you with by default if you open a table
> directly.
>
> I need this to run under Linux as a desktop application or alternatively
> a web application would be fine, I have apache2 with PHP etc. running on
> my desktop machine here.
>
> I've searched around quite a lot for something that can do this for me
> but haven't found anything yet.  There are lots of database management
> programs (such as sqlitebrowser and sqliteman) but while they do a good
> job of managing a database they're really not built for entering data.
>
> I just want an executable I can run with database name and table name as
> parameters, e.g.:-
>
>      myDataEditor somedatabase.db tablexyz
>
> ... and it fires up a window with the rows/columns in a grid and allows
> me to edit.  I don't want to have to navigate through menus and options
> to get there.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome.

Maybe Openoffice/Libreoffice.  The database portion does have the
tabular form you are looking for, but I have never used it with Sqlite.
  It appears it is possible but not easy. Here is a link that may help
you decide.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Using_SQLite_With_OpenOffice.org

Regards, Jim