fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN <SOLVED> now broken again.

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 06:50:02 UTC 2012

On 01/16/2012 10:43 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 17/01/12 11:52, Ric Moore wrote:

>>> Looks like in your case it has been replaced by 'grub.cfg' - see
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2.
>>

>> See this??
>> ric at ima:~$ sudo hdparm /dev/sr0
>> [sudo] password for ric:
>>
>> /dev/sr0:
>> multcount = 0 (off)
>> IO_support = 0 (default)
>> readonly = 0 (off)
>> readahead = 256 (on)
>> HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>> ric at ima:~$
>>
>> Nothing changed!
>>
>> ...but after a FRESH install of Xubuntu 11.10 and I let it install
>> updates and the non-free bits, ~at install time~ instead of after,
>> plus kicking the script for libdvdcss2 into action,
>>
>> DVD movies now auto-mount and play. What can I say... that worked. The
>> only difference is that this time, during install, I checked the boxes
>> to let it do the updates and install naughty bits as part of the
>> process, instead of me doing it by the seat of my pants afterwards.
>> Like Windows, I just had to dumb down.
>
> Told you already: you are using the wrong distro O:-) .
>
>> I'll do my next install from a high-chair with a bib on, and not touch
>> a thing! <chuckles> Ric
>

> That is where the ship you sail on is headed:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/tv-for-human-beings-ubuntu-linux/10109
>

> Oh, you may also want to look at:
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/slideshow/25030?source=NWWNLE_nlt_linux_2012-01-11

It went into Dead Parrot Mode again. When I first fired up, it ran "True
Lies" like a champ. Then later it says it cannot decrypt it, but the
True Lies directory is THERE in ~/.dvdcss !!
Now, it won't come up at all. So much for Ubuntu TV. I swear, I'm going
to become Swiss and learn how to yodel. Ric