video problems in Ubuntu

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 17 04:07:30 UTC 2012

On 17/01/12 13:17, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> On 01/16/2012 07:17 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 17/01/12 08:21, Douglas Pollard wrote:
>>>  My computer is dual core processor 2300 Mhtz 1Gig memory i686 two
>>> 250 G  hard drives.  I have downloaded video from Internet archives.
>>> I can play them and put on the time line of several video editors
>>> and watch them. I can watch them in Mplayer and other media  I
>>> cannot render from any of them. Ubuntu crashes.  I have down loaded
>>> in severl different formats but can't e render. I am busy reading
>>> the help in the Internet archives and have been asking question from
>>> the video editor web sites.  I am guessing the problems are in the
>>> down loads I have converted them into other formats but still no
>>> success. I doubt the problem is with ubuntu because this morning I
>>> had a friend down load one of them and try to render them in the
>>> windows movie maker and they crashed windows as well.   The video is
>>> an hour long I tride rendering and saving the part that had
>>> rendered, the first one was 15 min. long and the rest a little
>>> shorter. I put them all on the editor time line and they played fine
>>> but still would not render.  All the files I used had been rendered
>>> to mpeg 2.  I have been working on this well over a week with no
>>> success.  Anybody got any ideas??
>>>   I am not getting any messages saying I am running out of memory
>>> though that might be the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Doug
>>
>> What exactly do you mean by "render/rendering"? And what application
>> are you trying to "render" the video with?
>>
>> BC
>>
> OK , I have downloaded the video one  AVI and again in Mp4  from the
> Internet archives. I put them on the time lines of several different
> video editing programs. Openshot  Editor, Cinelerra, Pitivi, kdenlive
> as well as Kino.  I tried to render them to a dvd file also for
> youtube.  The computer crashes at different points in the video.  By
> rendering I mean to bring audio and video into one file and export
> it.    I have tried all these at different times.    I am beginning to
> think I don't have enough memory and the machine is using the hard
> drive in place of memory and is too slow???   I don't think it is a
> problem in the files I downloaded as the crash occurs at different
> places each time I try.             Doug

OK, my understanding of "rendering" (vs CIA's definition of "rendering")
is to improve the contrast quality or picture quality of a video; yours
is to add a sound/audio track to an existing video track - spmething
which avidemux should be able to do, I think because I have never used
it for what you are trying to do.

I don't know, but only supsect, that the file you downloaded from the
"internet archives" maybe the culprit to beging with. It may be using
some sort of 'copyright protection'. How about telling us which is the
file and the URL of the archive you downloaded the file from so that
some of us could try it out.

I also think that you have undertaken a task which requires a bit of
knowledge to do - ie, you cannot jump in head first into it. Have you
done some research about this? There are some excellent HOWTOs on the
web re this sort of thing.

The other thing, I agree with Ric: if you do have only 1GB of RAM then
that is not really enough for your task. But having said this, even with
this amount of RAM your computer should not suddenly stop in its tracks
- it will slow down but not necessarily just stop. You either have bad
RAM, or the CPU is overheating, or there is something about the archived
video you downloaded. Seeing as how your friend with Windows also has
the same trouble with this video, the same goes for his system. The
question now is: what *is* causing your hassle? :-( .

BC

--
It is easy to convince people of something, but hard to keep them convinced.
                              Niccolo Machiavelli