fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 16 05:03:55 UTC 2012

On 16/01/12 15:35, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 16/01/12 15:09, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I always mean to do that, but I get into "Master of the Universe"
>>> mode, with the skin of my scalp pulsing and bulging from all the
>>> brains packed under there, and think I'll remember it all. <sighs> I
>>> know, someone just shoot me.

>>> But of course. <smirks> I have one harddrive and one CD/DVD r/w.
>>> Both are set to "master", as each is on it's own cable and both are
>>> IDE.
>>
>> OK, both on separate cables and both set to Master. Positive?

>>> Secondly, you state above that you use a "newer fat one" IDE cable.
>>> This
>>>
>>> Nah, I should have been clearer... I used a NEWER "fatter" IDE
>>> ribbon cable to the DVD drive. It's still the old IDE flat ribbon
>>> style though. It LOOKS nicer, and a little more heavy duty, so it
>>> ought to work better? Heh, the optimistic side of me shows.
>>
>> So this newer cable IS 80-wire cable, right?
>>
>> In which case the kernel is not recognising the full UDMA of the
>> drive because it is giving you the message that the UDMA is
>> restricted to 33 because of the "40-wire cable". To get the full UDMA
>> for your drive you then need to apply the fiddle I gave in my
>> previous response.
>
> I shouldn't have skimmed over your reply and should have written above
> that the fix you ought to be using is  'libata.force=2:80c' because
> your DVD R/W is on the second channel. But if both the HD and the DVD
> are showing the wrong UDMA then use 'libata=1:80c,2:80c'  (which is
> what I have to use because I have HD and DVD R/W on channel #1 and HD
> and DVD R/W on channel #2 and without the fix dmesg shows that all are
> configured to UDMA33 because of the "40-wire cable" trick.)
Awwwww, HECK! :-( . I'll get this right any minute now.....

I just looked at my notes re this libata thingie, and there are 2 things
I need to add:

1. my notes state to use 'force=x:80c' [no 'libata' before the 'force']
"if not statically in the kernel" - whatever "if not statically in the
kernel" means - where "x" is the channel number; and

2. probably much more important, is to run 'sudo grub-update' after
inserting the 'libata.force...' statement in the menu.lst .

I think I've got it all now :-) .

BC

PS Let me know if you detect puffs of smoke wafting from the computer case.

--
It is easy to convince people of something, but hard to keep them convinced.
                              Niccolo Machiavelli