fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 16 04:09:59 UTC 2012

On 16/01/12 14:41, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 01/15/2012 08:17 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> Yesterday, after several frustrating hours where I could not get my
>> wife's computer to work properly (I had to move the system into a new
>> box - don't ask :-) ), I realised that one should prepare a check list
>> of what to do when tackling a damn computer's innards and tick them off
>> as the work progresses :-( .
>
> I always mean to do that, but I get into "Master of the Universe"
> mode, with the skin of my scalp pulsing and bulging from all the
> brains packed under there, and think I'll remember it all. <sighs> I
> know, someone just shoot me.
>
>> I couldn't get the darn thing to work properly because......I had
>> forgotten to check that the jumpers on the HDs and the CDROM and DVD
>> burner were correctly set :-( .
>>
>> So, are your jumpers all set correctly?
>
> But of course. <smirks> I have one harddrive and one CD/DVD r/w. Both
> are set to "master", as each is on it's own cable and both are IDE.

OK, both on separate cables and both set to Master. Positive?

>> means that rather than use the 80-wire cable you regressed to the old
>> 40-wire cable - which is why you are getting the message that your UDMA
>> is now only 33 "due to 40-wire cable". S
> Secondly, you state above that you use a "newer fat one" IDE cable. This
>
> Nah, I should have been clearer... I used a NEWER "fatter" IDE ribbon
> cable to the DVD drive. It's still the old IDE flat ribbon style
> though. It LOOKS nicer, and a little more heavy duty, so it ought to
> work better? Heh, the optimistic side of me shows.

So this newer cable IS 80-wire cable, right?

In which case the kernel is not recognising the full UDMA of the drive
because it is giving you the message that the UDMA is restricted to 33
because of the "40-wire cable". To get the full UDMA for your drive you
then need to apply the fiddle I gave in my previous response.

> But, there are a TON of people with the very same problem, and each
> gets the answer to install libdvdcss2. That's a good first step, but I
> think I'm way beyond that one.
>
> I just pushed "Real Lies" in the drive. From a command line I launched
> VLC. I tried to open the disc using /dev/sr0 and got this in the error
> window:
>
>> Playback failure:
>> DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/sr0".
>> Your input can't be opened:
>> VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvdsimple:///dev/sr0'. Check the log
>> for details.
>
> ...and in the terminal window I see this:
>
>> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.11 for DVD access
>> libdvdread: Could not open /dev/sr0 with libdvdcss.
>> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/sr0 for reading
>> [0x8c914b4] dvdread demux error: DVDRead cannot open source: /dev/sr0
>> [0xb7400784] main input error: open of `dvdsimple:///dev/sr0' failed:
>> (null)
>> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.11 for DVD access
>> libdvdread: Could not open /dev/sr0 with libdvdcss.
>> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/sr0 for reading
>> [0xb7409bf4] dvdread demux error: DVDRead cannot open source: /dev/sr0
>> [0x8c405cc] main input error: open of `dvdsimple:///dev/sr0' failed:
>> (null)

The latest, and greatest, libdvdcss is now libdvdcss2 with version
#1.2.11.6.1 and you can get it from either videolan or pakman.

> This drive worked just peachy in my main AMD 6-core cpu'd server. This
> MSI Intel Dual Core board has been giving me fits in various places,
> including this. At least I got it cheap. Methinks there was some file
> up in /etc that I had to hand edit before. I'm pretty sure I
> previously got DMA switched on. Ric

I suggest that you do that search in dmesg when you install new mobo etc
to make sure that the kernel is recognising and applying the full UDMA
capability to your devices.

When I first raised this issue of not getting the full UDMA for my
devices I was told "it works fine here". But then I went looking and
found that this problem has been known for years.

BC

--
It is easy to convince people of something, but hard to keep them convinced.
                              Niccolo Machiavelli