fresh install ---blooming DVD drive not recognized AGAIN

Ioannis Vranos ioannis.vranos at
Fri Jan 13 13:12:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at> wrote:
> ...and I'm looking all over the web for what fixed it last time! JEEZ! I
> installed 10.4 as my new motherboard couldn't find the EDID of the nvidia
> GF9400 board <swears> and 10.4 still has the install text mode, something I
> truly hope they put back in.

I suppose you are referring to the installation DVD. You can still get
the text installation mode, by using the "alternate" CD. Since you
have hardware recognition problems, I suggest Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit
alternate CD.

> If anyone recalls, please clue me in.
> I am in the cdrom group and added myself to DVD as well. Still no go. It
> just won't recognize a movie DVD and yes, I have libdvdcss installed.

I suggest installing it from medibuntu repository, along with
non-free-codecs metapackage.

Ioannis Vranos