Thumb drive installation, minimum size

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jan 13 06:31:38 UTC 2012

Patton Echols wrote:
> On 01/12/2012 01:42 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > P. Echols wrote:
> >> I plan on installing 8.04 on a thumb drive.[0] This will be a
> >> full, not a "live" install. The purpose is to run a USB video
> >> converter, so it will probably need swap space somewhere.  The
> >> data files that ate created will go on a separate partition or
> >> USB drive that'll be mounted when needed.
> >
> > Kubuntu 8.04 would fit easily on a 4GB USB stick, unless you plan
> > to install a lot of things more than the default packages. I don't
> > think that Ubuntu needs more space.
>
> Interesting, I like your answer better than Jon's since i already
> have a spare 4gb stick laying around.  I also have an xbuntu 8.04 CD
> laying around.  That should be smaller still, right?

Yes, I suppose Xubuntu needs a bit less space. But IMHO the main
advantage of Xubuntu in your situation is the smaller memory footprint
which makes it less likely that the system needs to swap. Swapping to
flash memory (USB sticks are flash memory) is not what you want because
of the slow write speed of the standard devices.

Nils