Thumb drive installation, minimum size

Jon Mirow gnu.mirow at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 21:18:37 UTC 2012

Hi there, as you won't be using the SquashFS to save space, I'd say a 16GB
drive would be them minimum practical install - you can definitely install
to an 8GB stick but you'll have about 2 left - that wouldn't give you any
sawp space.. which in my book isn't a proper install - unless the machines
you will be running it on have swap? Also ignoring the swap issue that's
just not that large for modern usage.

16GB flash drives are also pretty cheap nowadays - I was amazed I got a
32GB flash for twenty pounds (30 usd) 2 weeks ago!

Personally I can't see any real problem with it - I did it a while back on
an old motherboard with screwed sata until I could afford a new one- it's
slower obviously, but not moreso than using squash with persistence - that
can get real slow once there's a lot in the persistence folder to read!

Regards

Jon