Problem installing on an Acer Aspire One

Scott sbennett86 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:58:39 UTC 2012

Liam Proven <lproven <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 9, 2012 9:29 PM, "Jon Mirow" <gnu.mirow <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Just wondering how you created the USB? it's definitely possible as you can
launch the installer off of the stick. Did you use unetbootin to create? To the
best of my knowledge you can't use the dd command to create 11.x live USB's

> > Regards,
> >
> > Jon
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Carlos Alberto Alves <drcaa <at>
predialnet.com.br> wrote:

> >> I also have this same machine and worked out-of-the-box. I do not use any
sd cards.  :|
> I used unetbootin.
> Oddly, 12.04 Just Worked™ with no problems.
> I tried Meego & Hexxus' Chrome OS in Virtualbox. Neither would boot; it said
the IMG file was not a valid image. VMware booted Meego just fine but although
the installer ran happily, the result would not boot. It could not even boot
Chrome OS.

> Odd.

I tried to follow the instructions in several locations to install the Hexxeh
build of Chromium Lime using dd, but it never worked.  I found another set of
directions that used a different utility (I don't have the name of it right now,
but it was USB-(something) in the repositories).  Looked like this utility used
dd in the background, but whatever it did seemed to work.  The thing with
Chromium is it uses a .IMG file, so the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator (which I
normally use) and unetbootin didn't seem to support that.

So after sorting out the correct stick creation utility and making sure I had no
SD card in the SD slot, it installed just fine.