Software updates in 11.10

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Jan 8 20:40:45 UTC 2012

On 01/08/2012 12:48 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Jim Byrnes<jf_byrnes at comcast.net>  wrote:
>> I am running 11.10 on a notebook trying to get used to Unity.  I haven't
>> turned it on for a while so today when I did the Software Updates showed up
>> on the launcher.  When I clicked on it nothing happened.  I right clicked on
>> it and in the popup menu choose to update the list. A dialog popped up and a
>> progress bar showed the download. After that nothing again. I right clicked
>> again and choose update.  It then proceeded to apply the updates.  I was
>> never given the chance to review a listed of what would be updated like I am
>> in 10.04.
>>
>> Is this how it works now or is there a setting I have wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,  Jim
>

> It shows up as usual to me in 11.10.
>
> Perhaps it was automatically installing security updates? Check your
> settings. Did you do a clean install?

It installed a lot of stuff including security updates.
Update settings: Install security updates and recommended updates.
		Automatically check for updates daily
		Security updates display immediately
		Other updates weekly.  (Maybe this was it) I changed
		it to daily.

It was a clean install.

Thanks,  Jim