Cloud spreadsheet?

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Sat Jan 7 19:55:20 UTC 2012

On Sat, January 7, 2012 19:17, Rigved Rakshit wrote:

>> Is there an application you can recommend that works like Google Apps?
>> An oncology clinic is currently using Google apps to store some
>> patient information, which might not meet HIPAA compliance.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> They need to run it in-house, (locally) and they really only need a
>> sharable spreadsheet*, *however, an online, sharable word processor
>> would be nice too

> Give Ubuntu One a try: https://one.ubuntu.com. The Ubuntu One client is
> already available by default on all current Ubuntu versions. Plus, there
> are official Ubuntu One client software for other platforms like
> Windows, Android and iOS.
>
> The Ubuntu One cloud service allows one to store a cloud spreadsheet
> locally. This way, one can use the locally availalbe spreadsheet software
> to edit this spreadsheet, like LibreOffice or Microsoft Office. This
> spreadsheet can be accessed from any where using the browser. This
> spreadsheet can be shared between multiple Ubuntu One users. It is secure
> in the sense that only those Ubuntu One users who have have been given
> access to the spreadsheet can use it. It is also possible to give
> read-only access to other Ubuntu One users.

A quick google search on "ubuntu one hipaa" does not point to any evidence
that Ubuntu One is HIPAA compliant. So, unless someone can point to an
official Ubuntu document, I conclude that Ubuntu One is not HIPAA
compliant. It's secure, that's true, but not officially HIPAA compliant,
and that's all that the pencil pushers need to know to allow or deny it.

--
Amedee