Ctrl-alt-backspace

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Jan 6 20:23:51 UTC 2012

On 1/6/2012 8:20 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 06/01/12 12:42, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> It sounds as if the problem is that a basic and well-used option has
>> been removed and the OP wants it back.
>>

> The question was to discover why someone feels the need to kill their
> desktop. As far as I can see it's only 'well used' by people who have
> some other issue with their system. Perhaps a video driver that goes
> haywire, or an app that misbehaves when setting resolution.
>
> Perhaps there's an underlying nut-sized problem which could do with
> addressing rather than using the hammer to crack it.
>
> Al.

When something hangs the machine, you have two options:  shut down the
machine from the keyboard, hopefully a graceful shutdown, or push the
button on the front of the computer case. (That latter is the hammer,
not the k/b input.)  If you can get to the terminal, you can do
shutdown -h now
  but if you can't get there, then ctrl-alt-bs should work.  If Ubuntu
has removed that, they have screwed up yet again!
_After_ you have gotten out of the hang, _then_ you can try and find the
problem and fix it.  Not when the machine is hung.

--doug