slow transfer to usbstick

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 6 08:55:27 UTC 2012

On 05/01/12 07:03, Alessio Tomelleri wrote:
> It's past long time until nowadays and still I'm suffering of this
> problem, I remember the same problem also with Natty. I've an notebook
> Asus X53S (MB ver. F3SA) with Ubuntu 11.10. In the meanwhile that I'm
> writing this mail, I'm also transferring a folder on an usbstick (about
> something more of 4Gb with 16 files, some of this are of 1Gb of size)
> and the current speed is less of 1Mb, of course I'm writing about  usb
> 2.0. Notice, that with external hard disk (same usb port), the speed
> transfer is about 20/30Mb
>
> please a solution is required, it's really annoying this problem.
>
> thx, Alessio.

At least 2 things affect the transfer speed to an USB stick: the
brand/make of the USB stick and the software you are using to do the
transfer.

There are 2 fast USB sticks around (at least the last time I looked into
this) and one of the them is one of the models of Corsair, but I do not
remember what the other one is. I have a few Corsairs and also a few of
the Kingston brand (also had some others). The Kingstons are SLOW
compared to the Corsairs - and the Corsairs I have are not the fastest
versions of Corsair. To get an example of the speeds of, say, Corsairs,
go to their site and check out the specs for the models and you will see
the read/write speeds of the various models.

The second thing which will affect speed is the copying program you are
using. If you are using something like Dolphin or Nautilus you will find
that the speed is relatively slow. But the speed picks up quite a bit if
you use mc (Midnight Commander) - which is what I always use. I suspect
that mc has less overhead and baggage which makes it copy a lot faster.

BC

--
What religion were Adam and Eve?