Os on a 700 MHz (celeron) machine

Icarus Alive icarus.alive at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 18:26:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:45:54 -0500
> "Peter N. Spotts" <pspotts at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 21:42:49 +0000
> > Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > As of Precise Pangolin Lubuntu is an officially part of the Ubuntu...
> > >

> > Many thanks! That's good to know.
> >
> Another option is CrunchBang http://crunchbanglinux.org/
>
> Another consideration, apart from CPU speed, is the amount of RAM.  If you
> have 512 MiB or more then Xubuntu isn't bad.  Less than that and Lubuntu or
> CrunchBang are preferable.  Once you get down to 128 MiB or less then the
> only real choice is DSL or similar.

1+ for CrunchBang. Have been using it for a year now on an intel Atom.
In the past I've run RedHat 6.0 on a similar spec'd machine, but that had
192MB RAM.
With DSL the experience is somewhat different (e.g. it is a single user
setup, where you always log-in as root), and use some super lean apps s.a.
Dillo (it was never stable enough for me, and it takes you back to the 90's
in terms of browsing experience). Lupu is only slightly better.