Ubuntu 11.10 performance

Carsten Agger agger at modspil.dk
Tue Jan 3 07:50:27 UTC 2012

> I can attest that the problem with Ubuntu One is not just you - I get
> that too. I just removed it. I use Dropbox instead.
>
> I have not seem the rest, though. But yes, as Ubuntu grows, it is indeed
> getting slower.

Thanks for your response.

Yesterday, I installed Xubuntu and started using it instead of Unity,
and that improved the situation somewhat.

There is still a problem, though, and Evolution and Firefox still take
unreasonably long time to launch. But it's clearly better with Xubuntu.

Still, I suspect the problem is probably kernel-related, i.e. bad
support for my hardware configuration. I still think that ordinary
desktop performance should never be a problem with a quad core CPU and 4
GB RAM.