Unity Interface sucks, Any alternatives

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Tue Jan 3 00:22:24 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 01:36 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 2 January 2012 21:31, sdavmor<sdavmor at systemstheory.net>  wrote:

>>> That's not an option in 11.10 or later.

>>> I have two 21" monitors, myself. I find Unity takes /less/ space than
>>> GNOME 2 did.
>>>
>>> GNOME 2 is dead. No matter if you upgrade to 11.10 or do a clean
>>> install, GNOME 2 is removed. This will also be true in 12.04 - GNOME 2
>>> is not coming back.
>>>
>>> If you really want a two-panel desktop, then install Xubuntu. If you
>>> have already installed 11.10, then do:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>>>
>>> ... Or use Synaptic or the Software Centre, search for the
>>> "xubunto-desktop" package and install it and all its dependences. Then
>>> choose "Xubuntu" at the login screen.
>>
>> I'm responding to this on a system on which I installed MATE, the Gnome2
>> fork a couple of weeks ago.  Works great.
>
> Nifty! How did you do that? Is there a PPA?

Go here:
http://mate.karapetsas.com/

And here:
http://matsusoft.com.ar/projects/mate/index.en.html

And here:

Updating MATE is still a bit iffy, because there's no authentication
on the PPA, so update-manager doesn't want to work with it.  But I've
done two or three patch updates via command line and sudo apt-get
update/upgrade.
http://mikedickson.org.uk