Why using Virtualization is making system hangs?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Jan 2 16:41:52 UTC 2012

PM wrote:
> Can one precisely tell me why the system hangs so often while using
> any guest in the host Ubuntu?

I think it is very difficult to give a precise explanation to your
extremly vague question. Please elaborate:
- Which Ubuntu version do you use?
- Which Interface is in use (Unity-3d/-2d, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, ...)?
- What virtualization software do you use?
- What specs has your machine (CPUs, speed, memory)?
- How much memory do you give to the guest system?
- Is there a lot of activity in the guest system when the host hangs?

> Also, "Ctrl+Backspace" makes the logout
> of the host irrespective of the guest distribution in VM, is it
> normal?

Sure. Your virtualized guest system is just another application for your
host system. If you decide to logout, the host expects you to know what
you are doing, i.e. it will shut down your virtualized system like all
other applications which are in use.

Nils