Creating a new ARM/AVR platform

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 14:41:20 UTC 2012

On 29 February 2012 14:05, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 February 2012 13:39, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> My company is seeking to create a monitoring device using an ARM or AVR
>> processor, and wishes it to run Linux.
>> As we are developing the hardware, it can be designed completely for this
>> purpose, and we would have all the technical specifications avalable.
>> Could anybody point me towards a guide for porting Linux to such a
>> platform?
>
> You sure you want to port the kernel to ARM? It is not trivial... and there
> isn't a "guide" on how to do it. Would you not be better off using the
> existing ARM port which Russell King is/was working on?

What? There *is* already an Ubuntu edition for ARM. It's a bit rough
around the edges but it's there.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM

ARM is a supported platform already for Debian:
http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/

There is no need to port Linux to ARM - it's been done, long ago, and
is getting fairly mature now. Linux on ARM is of course the basis of
Android, which with many hundreds of millions of users is far and away
the most popular user-facing form of Linux in existence.

However, there is no equivalent to the IBM PC-compatible as a
"reference platform" for ARM. Each ARM Linux implementation needs a
port to that specific mainboard, chipset, etc.

Is this what the OP was asking about?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884