I think I blew up my own alsa configuration somehow

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 28 10:22:45 UTC 2012

On 28/02/12 19:46, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 02/28/2012 01:57 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Wonderful idea! Namaskar! I was in the thick of it and didn't think to
>>> do that.
>>>
>>> But, it just made the same whines and blooping noises it made before.
>>> Ergo, scratch one onboard audio setup. At least the USB functions
>>> well, mouse and headset works just peachy. What I should do is send
>>> the MB back to ASUS, under warranty and let them check out ALL of the
>>> back panel plugins. Maybe some day I'll get fancier stuff and need
>>> them all working. (more toys!) Thanks again. Ric
>>

>> I know that you would have done all this already, but just take a step
>> back and work thru from start to finish what you may have forgotten to
>> do to get into this sound "mess".
>>
>> Have you set in your BIOS the correct source for your audio? Have you
>> selected the correct source for your audio in alsamixer? And in
>> alsamixer you don't have a clash between channels which should be
>> muted/disabled and those which should be enabled (I got some HORRIBLE
>> sounds when I had a couple of incompatible channels enabled)? I know
>> that you have stated that you have a 5-1 system which means that you
>> would normally have an external power source for your speakers - is
>> there a clash in alsamixer re this (another person was surprised when I
>> told him that in alsa one has to make sure that some channel is enabled
>> while another has to be disabled otherwise nothing works)? This new PSU,
>> is it really OK: perhaps it has a severe line-noise problem? (BTW, you
>> aren't having an ground/earth-loop problem are you?)
>
> I went through every conceivable iteration of setups... nothing worked
> at all. I tried using headphones and plain Jane stereo, you name it. I
> think it's blown up. The first power supply blowup took out a hard
> drive, so it's not impossible it took out the sound too. I've already
> have a sound card on the way. It's got to be hardware. Even running
> the live CD, I got nothing but buzzing. It's always been a piece of
> cake to set up. So, I know it's hosed. I tested the speaker system
> separately and it's just fine. <sighs> :) Ric

<sigh> is about right :-( .

What I don't like is that the installation of a sound card may not solve
the problem. The psu might have taken out the HDD but that is on one of
the 12V lines; the sound is part of the voltage used by the mobo itself
(not that I know anything about what voltages are being used by whatever
component). Have you contacted ASUS about the possible cause of the
sound problem (as possibly being caused by the failure of the psu)?

BC

--
I'd rather live one more day as a wolf than an entire life as a lamb.