moderation. was: The New Face of Ubuntu

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 24 17:09:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:45:41 -0800
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > If there is no policy what is the job of a moderator?   ...and why?
>
> As a moderator, I find myself wanting to answer that question, even
> though it's tangential to the original thread.
>
> I deal almost exclusively with messages that the software has rejected
> already.  Almost all of it is submissions that come from non-members.
> The vast majority are non-english (I see chineese, hangul, cyrillic,
> and a bunch of alphabets I can't even identify), or are obvious bounce
> messages, frauds, phishing or spam.  Mostly it's a non-brainer based
> just on the subject line. All of the above get silently discarded.
>
> The exceptions are reasonable Ubuntu-related English messages,
> probably from members, who are sending from an email account that is
> not subscribed, or messages that are larger than our size limit.  They
> get a message telling them what the problem is, and advised to
> subscribe/trim and resubmit.
>
> Note how little this has to do with content, or any policy about
> content other than choice of language.
>
> Other things are possible, but exceedingly rare.

Thanks, Kevin, that was a great response, answers my question
perfectly and is something that I had never even considered.

Learning is happening!

That said, I have now gotten two responses to my question in my inbox
instead of in my Ubuntu-users folder (one sent directly and
bypassing the mailing list altogether) which is /against/ the mailing
list guidelines. Could you moderators possibly read and follow your own
mailing list guidelines it would probably at least help to serve to
insure that others abide by the same guidelines, too.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.