VLC 2.0.0 released (From IT News Daily)

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Fri Feb 24 16:20:27 UTC 2012

On 02/23/2012 09:41 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 24/02/12 05:36, Bill Stanley wrote:
>> < snip >
>>
>>> Just a small "heads up" about v2 for "your" information.
>>>
>>> I have been running v2 for over a week or so. I use 6
>>> Desktops/workspaces and vlc is always used on Desktop #6 to watch
>>> (digital) TV. What was occurring was that when I switched to another
>>> Desktop vlc would lose sound until I returned to Desktop #6.
>>>
>>> Now, this may not affect "you", and in any case there was an update a
>>> couple of days ago and this problem disappeared. Simply bear this mind
>>> should you also strike the same loss of sound situation.
>>
>> It's good to see that you already have VLC 2.0 running on Unbuntu. I
>> have been looking around and I can't seem to find 2.0 for Linux except
>> in source code form. I looked in the Unbuntu repositories and all I
>> found was the old version. I looked at the VLC website and I didn't
>> find a compiled version for Ubuntu. Where can I find it and what must
>> I do to install it if 2.0 isn't the Ubuntu repository.
>>
>> Bill Stanley
>
> http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

Thanks for the information but I still can't get it properly installed.
  I am using version 10.10 and using the graphical interface, it seems
as if there is no point in doing an update there.  The repository says
the version is 1.1 and that is the version I have.  I tried doing an
command line update from the cosole (I copy/pasted the
exact 3 lines you gave).  VLC did run but it is the same old version  so
the update was not done.

The Help/about window of VLC says

VLC media player 1.1.4 The Luggage

This version of VLC was compiled by:
build on roseapple build (July 20 2011 09"21:03)
Compiler: gcc version 4.4.5 (Ubuntu/Linaro
4.4.4-14unbuntu5)

Is it possible that they forgot to update the about page?  I haven't
tried the other parts yet.

Bill Stanley