Ubuntu Server 11.x / missing log-files (messages,daemon)

franz.reitinger franz.reitinger at htl-wels.at
Fri Feb 24 13:41:27 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:44:08 +0100, Tim Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012, at 03:06 PM, franz.reitinger wrote:
>> Hi,
>> after upgrading from Ubuntu 10 to 11 several log-files like
>> messages.log or daemon.log have disappeared 'smoothly'.
>>)
>> Asking Google I learned that some logger are no long supported and
>> some
>> additional configuration has to be done in
>> /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf. After enabling the 'daemon.log' I
>> restarted the log-service to see why the openvpn-server is not
>> working.
>> In the former Ubuntu-version (10) openvpn (and other daemons) wrote
>> its
>> logging to the daemon.log. Even tough I enabled the daemon logging
>> openvpn still refuses to log. Generally it remains the questions
>> where
>> the log output of all the daemons can be found (syslog?). How can I
>> 'persuade' daemons like openvpn to use now the rsyslog?
>
> I'm not sure about daemon.log but IIRC openvpn logs into
> /var/log/syslog
> (but I can't check this for sure as I'm not at my home PC). If you're
> still not getting anything from it I'd check the verbosity setting in
> your openvpn.conf file (see the verb parameter in man openvpn).

In Ubuntu 10.x openvpn has logged into syslog, however now (11.10) I
can't find there any log messages. Configuring the
/etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf to activate the "selectors" didn't help.
Then I checked the verbosity setting in the config-file for openvpn and
now I get some logs - but not in /var/log. I found them in the
/etc/openvpn - directory.

/franzR
/*
 * Mail checked by Avira virus scanner (mail.htl-wels.at).