Using history command in bash script

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 12:59:39 UTC 2012

Den 24 februari 2012 13:12 skrev Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com>:
> Seems not to be possible.
>
> ~$ cat > pa
> #!/bin/bash
>
> history
> <Ctrl+d>
> ~$ chmod +x pa
> ~$ pa
> ~$
>
> So there seem to be no history entries available when I run history
> from a bash script. Why is this?
>
> I also tried to use the ~/.bash_history file, but it doesn't seem like
> events are added to it for each command executed, since at least a
> couple of ten commands are missing at the end. Seems like things are
> added to the .bash_history file ”now and then”, I'm not sure how
> often. How can I get around this? Where are the latest history lines
> recorded before they are added to the actual .bash_history file?
>
> I'm trying to make a bash script that creates an alias for my last
> command and save it in my .bash-aliases file (which is launched from
> the .bashrc file), so I need some way to know what my latest command
> was.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

About that .bash_history file:
At the moment, my history is 620 entries. If I look in the
.bash_history file, the last command there match entry 527 of the
history command's output. Where are the 93 missing entries? Can I
force bash to write those to the .bash_history file?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ