kernel module to enable usbnet

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 00:09:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> on ubuntu I like to have usb0 interface when connect the toshiba thrive
>>
>> my guess is, since I am using the mini usb on the tablet, that is why I am not
>> getting a usb0 on the linux side.
>>
>> I guess I will need to get a USB A/A male cable and connect to the USB of
>> the tablet instead of mini usb.
>
> What do you mean with "I like to have usb0 interface when connect the
> toshiba thrive"? Do you mean tethering with tablet's connection?

On tablet (running honeycomb)

 # ifconfig usbeth0
usbeth0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr E6:38:B1:D6:96:1D
          inet addr:192.168.200.1  Bcast:192.168.200.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

On ubuntu laptop (11.10 x64)

~$ ifconfig usb0
usb0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

I was hoping when I plug my usb a male to a male cable from tablet to
the laptop the ubuntu hotplug will create a usb0 network interface.

I will just give it an IP on same network to do ethernet over usb.

Then run rsync on laptop to backup my tablet.