Unity menu on 1 screen only?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 21:33:12 UTC 2012

On 02/23/2012 04:50 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 23 February 2012 03:14, Koh Choon Lin<2choonlin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>>> What version of Ubuntu? On what hardware, specifically, the graphics
>>> card? With what drivers? Configured how - multiple desktops, one large
>>> desktop, Xinerama, nVidia TwinView, what?
>>>
>>> I am running 11.10/64-bit on an AMD system with an nVidia GeForce 230
>>> and I have 2 top panels, one on each screen, but one launcher, on the
>>> left screen only. This means 2 different apps can have a menu bar
>>> each, so long as they are on different screens, which is exactly the
>>> way I like it.
>>
>> I am running 11.10 AMD64, on Intel integrated graphics to 2 monitors.
>> I am hoping to have 2 top panels and one LHS launcher.
>>
>> Currently, I have panel and launcher on LHS, nothing on RHS.
>
> You should see two top panels, one on each monitor.

Assuming you're using nvidia-settings GUI, in "twinview" both monitors
are treated as one monitor, at double the width. So, you have only one
tool bar panel having only one virtual monitor. You can span the tool
bar panel across both monitors, but it looks like #$%^ and just wastes
the upper portion of the second monitor.

If you use the Separate X screen setting you'll have two screens
independent of each other, each having it's own menu bar. Of course that
might strain that video card. In any case, you need to use
nvidia-settings GUI to configure that and not a system tool, since
you'll need everything set in stone to your xorg.conf file, first. Those
system preferences tools for setting up a monitor can't handle a
proprietary driver for beans. IMHO :) Ric