running a simple command line tool

CJ Tres ctres at grics.net
Wed Feb 22 15:54:21 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 09:25 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> CJ Tres wrote:
>> Yes. I could have been a bit more detailed.
>> I did try ./natool also, from within and outside the dir that hold
>> the binary.
>> Natool (or rather natool) gets the result "No command 'natool'
>> found..." ./natool results in "./natool: No such file or directory"
>> wherever it is run from.
>
> Aha, I've just re-read and seen that you've installed it, which means
> that it's probably not simply extracted into your current working
> directory.
> Normally, install scripts attempt to put the binary somewhere in your
> $PATH, but he might have missed (gone for somewhere that normally is,
> but in this case isn't).
> Quickest would be either to peruse the Makefile.PL and/or configure
> scripts to see if there's any clue, or pehaps to email the developer
> and ask them. It might well be in the README or INSTALL files, too, so
> that'd be worth doing before poking him.

No Makefile or configure script.
Yes, it installs into /usr/local but I don't see it there.

The README explains how to put it somewhere else (--perfix option) but I
decided to leave well enough alone and just ran the perl script to
install as it was written.

> Were did you get this package from? I'll have a go at installing it and
> see if I can let you know everything it needs to get it working if you
> like.

I'd appreciate that Avi. Thank you.
Downloaded from http://www.blit.ca/downloads/natool-1.00.02.tar.gz