Ping: Liam re: Newer kernel backports for 10.04

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 06:35:35 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 01:20 AM, Jeff G. wrote:
> On 02/21/2012 07:55 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Compiz would strain it to the max for sure.
>
> I agree but strain only showed in past 2 kernels - no biggee
>
>> My own un-asked-for suggestion would to be run something real
>> lightweight for your desktop, so you have something left over for
>> applications.
>
> hence xfce, tho lightweight is relative...

Lubuntu is supposed to be lighter, but I prefer XFCE myself. Yup, it's
al relative, I first ran Linux on a 486 with less system memory than
your video card has. That was light weight.

>> Especially if that is a laptop where you can't just jam
>> a newer video card in it for $26. Peace, Ric
>
> don't think $26 will get anything nVidia but haven't looked - I'm just
> getting as many miles out of this old Dell carcass as I can while I put
> together a custom box.

Amazon has that one. WITH a video out.
http://www.amazon.com/Brand-NVIDIA-Geforce-FX5500-Graphics/dp/accessories/B001OFPM80
I figured that was important to you to have the TV plug from what you
wrote. I ran two monitors with no sweat on mine.

Shoot, I bought a newer 9400-GT with a gig of memory for $80 and now
it's down to around $45, but that is PCI-E, fanless with a HUGE heat
sink. They're cheap, but not as in cheaply made.

We got a bunch of Dells that have even worse graphics at our non-profit
office. We're talking Trident. <sighs> Ric