Ping: Liam re: Newer kernel backports for 10.04

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 00:43:12 UTC 2012

On 21 February 2012 23:42, Jeff G. <jeff.g.group at att.net> wrote:
> On 02/21/2012 08:52 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver.  I'm thinking
>>> the
>>
>> Ric's suggestions looked good to me.
>>
>> What model of nVidia GPU is it? I have seen problems recognising and
>> configuring older cards that don't work with the latest drivers before
>> - but not for some years. TBH though I don't have any such old cards
>> still in use, so I cannot say if the problems have been resolved or
>> not.
>

> Its an old geforce4 mx 420 - don't go there, it works just fine for me on
> this old box and it  will handle TV and dual monitors if I so desire.
>
> Ric's suggestions were all good but already covered - don't know how he
> thought I got there w/o doing all he suggested already.
>
> My question was do I worry about jockey not seeing the driver - graphics and
> kernel work flawlessly so far.
>
> Tnx for the input,

Ah right.

Well, in that case, no, I wouldn't worry. My guess is that Jockey's
detection of older hardware is failing or has been removed. This is a
problem with Linux in general - it supports a very large "footprint"
of hardware, but it's a constantly moving one, with older stuff
falling off as the devs move to newer and newer kit and can't test or
maintain it. After a while, it is marked as obsolete - nobody's using
it, because it no longer works - and it's removed.

ISA devices are hard work in 2.6, for instance, and floppy drives are
likely to go away as well.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884