Ping: Liam re: Newer kernel backports for 10.04

Jeff G. jeff.g.group at att.net
Tue Feb 21 13:58:45 UTC 2012

On 02/20/2012 10:08 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 11:55 PM, Jeff G. wrote:
>> On 02/15/2012 08:24 AM, Liam Proven wrote in another thread:
>> > If you're still running "Lucid", 10.04, and are having driver problems
>> > or something, there are now 3 different newer kernels available.
>> >

>> <snip>
>>
>> > If you look in Synaptic (or the package manager of your choice), you
>> > should see (for example):
>> >
>> > linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty
>> >
>> > and the matching linux-image-generic-pae-backport-natty and
>> > linux-image-server-backport-natty.
>> >

>> Long story short:
>>
>> Running U 10.04 - with the last 2 kernel upgrades, my old nVidia card
>> started losing contact - losing high graphic effects settings regularly.
>> Best I could figure, problem was either GTK, compiz, my driver install
>> in the kernel (s) or 1 of a few bugs.
>> So for giggles, I went and installed the 3.0 kernel - it would only boot
>> into low graphic mode. So I went for the latest nv 96 from their site
>> (manual) which complained a few times but installed,
>>
>> lsmod shows nvidia being used by 22
>>
>> jeff at jeff-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX
>> 420] (rev a3)
>>
>> I have nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/kernel/drivers/video/
>>
>> Using xfce, graphics seem fine - have purged compiz for xfwm.
>>
>> xorg says
>> Section "Device"
>> Identifier "Device0"
>> Driver "nvidia"
>> VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
>>

>> Jockey can't detect the driver at all - do I need to worry about that?
>
> Run nvidia-settings. Set up your video specs, click on whatever options
> you feel you need to use, then click on the save configuration button to
> save the entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

nvidia did that itself upon install - it found and modified the old one.

> You should have a lot more in that file than you showed.

I do - I was only addressing nvidia recognition by everything but jockey.

>That completes the install. With that new
> kernel you probably need to to a serious update to your system as well.

Only serious update I can see is something over U 10.04 - all packages
are up to date per Canonical - Thunderbird and Firefox beyond the
versions offered in Synaptic.

> Then reboot and see what you have. Ric

Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver.  I'm thinking
the manual install had a thing to do with that.