Need Help Adding Flash

Pongo A. Pan pongo_pan at fastmail.us
Sat Feb 18 15:18:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 16:54 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 18 February 2012 10:46, Larry Massey <ljmassey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> I'm brand new to Linux (and to this list) and could use some help.  I set up
> >> a 32 GB thumb (USB) drive with ubuntu 11.10 desktop to try it out.  I need
> >> to add a flash player to firefox.  Can't seem to figure out how.  What is
> >> the easiest way to do it?
> >>
> >> Thanks much.
> >
> > At a terminal:
> >
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
> > sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
> >
> > The first 2 lines just do a global system update but this is a good idea anyway.
>
>  Larry Massey, DON'T DO THIS! This will upgrade your installation to
> another Ubuntu version.
>
> Liam, you should have typed
>
> sudo apt-get upgrade
>

> --
> Ioannis Vranos

Huh????  Quoting from the official Ubuntu documentation:

    apt-get dist-upgrade

    The same as the above, except add the "smart upgrade" checkbox.
    It  tells APT to use "smart" conflict resolution system,
    and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages
    at the expense of less important ones if necessary.

    "apt-get dist-upgrade" does not perform distribution
    upgrade. See
    [http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
    upgrading] for more information.

dist-upgrade is the *only* way to get updated kernels AFAIK.  It does
not update to newly released versions from older ones.

--
pongo pan
Sat, 18 Feb 2012 07:17:01 -0800