Best filesystem to use for a specific type of application

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 15:31:30 UTC 2012

On 15 February 2012 12:10, Greg Zeng <gregzeng at gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume that you want journalling as well (not available in Ext2;
> BTRFS & Reiser are still aphaware)?  If you use compression in the
> file system, there are fewer hard-drice accesses.  Not sure if RAID,
> SSD would assist.  One advantage of NTFS is the ability to defrag the
> HDD (not needed for SSD drives).  Grudgingly, Linux seems to admit
> that magnetic drives have fragmentation & speed access variations.

Journalling is not required for my situation. My company will only
read the files and will never write to the disk. Each image is also
written to disk by the client with a SHA1 checksum, which we read and
check as we're processing the data. Anything which doesn't match is
reported on and ignored. If the filesystem I select includes
journalling it'd be nice to be able to turn it off. I suspect it won't
make any difference for my read only work however.

I'm not sure compression will give us much of a benefit either as much
of the data is already compressed. Every file is (likely) to be
smaller than the block size of the filesystem so I suspect the gains
would be marginal... only a test will prove it however.

--
Steve