Graphical "intrusion detection systems" and "intrusion prevention systems"

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 20:00:07 UTC 2012

On 02/12/2012 01:59 PM, compdoc wrote:
>  >I'd look at webmin for configuration
>
> In the IRC channel, the regulars there are telling people not to use
> webmin now because it no longer complies with Ubuntu's configuration of
> apps.
>
> It's been a long time since I've used webmin, so I can't say one way or
> the other...

This is a good thread and awakened my quest for some mild intrusion
detection scheme. I installed snort, which pulls in some other packages,
and what I am left with ~IS~ confusing to a mere "super user" who is not
a network geek whizbang. So, I feel the OP's pain here. But, I too would
like to learn. If this isn't the place to discuss it at length, maybe
the discussion could be held over on bikeshed more in-depth?? We need
some new topics there besides "Eating The Rich" recipes and "Liberals vs
Conservatives", although we are having Great Fun with them. Besides, the
sharks could use some fresh meat there.

But, the OP is correct, there is a LOT of things to consider hitting you
at once so a nice little simple GUI would be swell. :) Ric