System freeze (Nvidia / Flash)

Thomas F. Duellmann t.duellmann at gmx.de
Sun Feb 12 11:29:13 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 05:12 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Thomas F. Duellmann <t.duellmann at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Thanks for you fast response!
> >
> > Unfortunately even that didn't work.
> > I tried nearly all key combinations with Strg + Alt but nothing
> > happened.
> > After a (quite long) while the screen turned black and the message
> > "Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done." appeared.
> > After several minutes of waiting I did a hard reset.
> >
> > While being frozen the system responded to ping requests from another
> > pc. So the system itself seemed to run properly. Something seems to
> > 'mess up' the X-Server or anything else UI-related.
> > Can anybody give me a hint how to investigate the source of this problem
> > or would you recommend to just do a fresh install?
>
> I think it is an NVIDIA driver problem. The driver that comes with
> Ubuntu 11.10 (280.13), supports your graphics card.
>
> If you use an older Ubuntu version, try downloading version NVIDIA
> driver 285.0509.

I just uninstalled the 290.10 driver and installed the recommended one
via jockey ("Additional Drivers") which is version 280.13.
Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. Opened up several youtube
videos and clicked around and eventually my system, respectively the UI
locked up again :(
I fear that there's a problem between flash(player) and NVIDIA driver. I
just can remember that this must have started after upgrading to 11.10
and removing those sevenmachines (PPA) flash player version and
installing the one from ubuntu-repos.