Why "alternate"and not "alternative" CD?

AV3 arvimide at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 10 17:49:33 UTC 2012

On Feb/10/2012 11:0618 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 10 February 2012 15:51, Colin Law<clanlaw at googlemail.com>  wrote:

>>> There is little nuance of difference between the two expressions in this
>>> case. 'Alternative' is an adjective and you understand its meaning
>>> correctly, Here 'alternate' is a noun;
>>
>> I did not want to comment on this thread as it is definitely OT and
>> should be on bikeshed, but I have to say that alternate in this case
>> is definitely an adjective not a noun.  I don't see how alternate can
>> ever be a noun, one cannot have "an alternate", only "an alternate
>> something".
>
> It started vaguely on-topic although it's drifting.
>
> "Alternate" can be a noun, yes.
>
> "Alternative" means that there is a set of mutually-exclusive options:
> e.g. months with an R in their name. Some do, some don't; if you pick
> one set, whichever it is, then you have an alternative - the other
> set.
>
> "Alternate" implies sequence. Day and night alternate: one is not the
> "alternative" of the other, it is the alternate of the other.
>
> The default CD image for Ubuntu is the desktop LiveCD. However, there
> is a second option, which is usually less desirable as it requires a
> little more technical expertise and can do less. It is the alternate.
>
> Both are alternatives of one another, *but* there is a clear first or
> primary option, which is what's best for most people, and an
> alternate.
>
> The /alternative/ to Ubuntu is Fedora or something. :¬)

Right, exactly what I meant by providing the example 'alternate
delegate.' English isn't precise about grammatical categories as other
languages are, e. g., French. It makes English easier to learn but
harder to use.

If you have Ubuntu and Fedora and Windows installed on the same disk the
meaning and use of 'alternate' and 'alternative' begin to merge, as they
do in the OP's original message.

To be complete, in American English usage the verb use of 'alternate' is
stressed on the first syllable but the last syllable rhymes with
"eight," while the noun use is also stressed on the first syllable but
the last syllable rhymes with "nit."

--
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvimideQ at Wearthlink.net>    ||