HP laptop overheating

Icarus Alive icarus.alive at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 05:59:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Adoris9211 <adoriswang9210 at aol.com> wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2012, at 10:11 PM, Thiago Cavalcante wrote:
>
> > My HP Pavilion dv5 1260br slow and freezing. After three months of
> trying, I migrated to Ubuntu for Lubuntu. The temperature down 30°C
>
> Generally HP laptops are always hotter and noisier than others regardless
> of the distro running within them.
>
> We Chinese people say "Buy an HP, get a free heater" and "HP laptops are
> powerful because they have tractor engines built-in".

Not sure if that level of generalization is valid. Indeed HP (as all other
Laptop manufacturers) has some lousy el-cheapo bottom-of-the-rack consumer
laptops, but having owned 8 odd laptops in last 15 years, of which 7 were
HP/Compaq, only 1 (Presarion CQ42) has a heating issue, which is noticibly
higher than usual. I own another Acer, and used 2 Dells and 1 Lenovo
(employer provided). The Acer is about as cool or as hot as the other
Compaq's. The 2 Dells seem to run a shade warmer than most of the HPs.
Nothing remarkable about Lenovo either. But then, it depends on model,
style of usage (e.g. some people use laptops placed directly on their bed),
which is a strick no-no, as it blocks air-vents, and prevents cpu cooling
airflow.