Crash on mouse move after updates

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 20:10:02 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 07:31 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 7 February 2012 12:12, adam<adam.slaski at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi, I've got the same. Did you managed to fix it?
>
> No, I didn't get any further with it.  I had been planning to move to
> 12.04 fairly soon anyway as it seems so stable so I did that rather
> than waste any more time on it.  I installed on a separate partition
> so I can still boot into the failing system.  If you have exactly the
> same symptom as me then it sounds like a bug rather than something I
> had done.  If you want to submit a bug I will attach myself to it so
> it will be 'confirmed'.  I don't know which package it should go on,
> you could put it on lightdm since it shows itself on the logon screen
> and let someone else work out where it should go.
I had an update that failed as the new package for evince had +1 to the
package version number. I dnloaded the file directly (the one with the
higher version number, used dpkg -i to install it, then proceeded with
the update which cured my mouse. Damn thing was just hung. I had to do
this from the command shell as the desktop was frozen tight as a drum.

Just run sudo spt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade to see if it's
hanging on "evince". There was a kernel upgrade that also didn't make
the trip from the upgrade freeze. Ergo, it froze up from a half-assed
upgrade. Ric