How best to make daily routine backups from netbook to 2 external HD's?

Greg Zeng gregzeng at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:40:45 UTC 2012

<quote> My experiences so far can be summarised as follows.
http://luckybackup.sourceforge.net/
I successfully managed to make a complete backup of the WHOLE home
directory to the biggest external HD: "WD Elements" , 2 Terabytes. The
strange aspect of this experience is the way in which that HD has been
formatted: NTFS. But there was not one single error report.

My question is: what best to do with the big external HD? Leaving it
as it is now while continuing to use it? Or is it better to reformat
it into EXT4 and making a new backup afterwords? <endquote>

In Australia, I do this too, but to a compressed NTFS 2tb partition,
USB2.  NTFS-compressed, is an advanced version of BTRFS, imo.  It
already has it's file checkers, unerase apps, defrag, etc.

In Win7, I then run 'Doublekiller' to remove duplicates, by filesize &
checksum recognition.  Yet to find a Linux app to do this.

Since all my data files of every op sys (Win7-64, Win-XP-32, + 4
version of Ubuntu, both pae-32 & 64 bit) are on NTFS-compressed
partitions.  Not NTFS-3G because I want both compression & encryption.

I will publish this easy partition later soon.  Perhaps Youtube.  It's
much easier to Youtube than publishing here.