Is there any non free thing in Ubuntu Kernel

Alan Pope alan.pope at canonical.com
Mon Feb 6 12:57:30 UTC 2012

On 06/02/12 06:57, Md Ashickur Rahman Noor wrote:
> I was reading this wiki <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNewSense> . One
> thing kept my eyes that Ubuntu use non free module in is kernel. Is it true?

Yup. That GNewSense is pretty accurate. It's mostly firmware blobs for
wireless cards.

Ubuntu does ship with a "Free Software Only" install option which
replaced (to some degree) our discontinued Gobuntu derivative. So if you
want to install Ubuntu and have a more 'Free' desktop then use that option.

It's been there for nearly 4 years.

  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/gobuntu-devel/2008-April/000651.html

Cheers,
Al.