mic stopped working

G. pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 06:12:06 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/04/2012 03:38 AM, G. wrote:

>>> First, open alsamixer in a terminal and check your settings. EVERYTHING
>>> related to sound depends ultimately on alsa. Then install pavucontrol,
>>> which
>>> ought to be installed at install time, but for some reason isn't. Use
>>> that
>>> to set up your sound sources/outputs. Configuring surround setups is a
>>> breeze. You should have sound input for your mike. Ric
>>>

>>> --
>>

>> I opened alsamixer.  Capture had underlines so I went to that, hit
>> space bar and then hit the up arrow.  I checked for mic functionality,
>> still will not record with sound recorder and still no listing of
>> device under sound settings.
>>
>> Looking to install pavcontrol, the only listing under software center
>> is Pulse Vol Control and Pulse Vol Meter (playback).  Same using
>> synaptic.
>>
>> Not sure what else to do.
>

> I just opened synaptic and there it is: pavucontrol
> Try this, open a terminal and enter: sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
> This package has been around for some time. That should get it for you. I'm
> running 11.10 as well. It's there. <winks> Trust me! Ric

I opened terminal as you said and the message says I already have the
latest version.  When I type pavucontrol on the program launcher the
only option is pulse audio control which per Synaptic is pavucontrol.
Under pulse audio control, input devices, All except Monitors, is says
there are no input devices available.  Under Moniors it shows an
option for controlling front left and front right more like a speaker
control, but in any case that is not muted.  Under Hardware Inout
Devices there are are no input devices available.

ubuntu is not detecting my microphone.

Thanks for you efforts.

garyk