switching between different input methods in ibus preferences Hindi typing

Abhishek Dixit abhidixit87 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 05:41:17 UTC 2012

Hi,
I use Ubuntu 11.10 and Gnome environment. I am able to type documents
in Hindi by a method shown here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL7icGNhIfI
I installed ibus-m17n and ibus packages and have enabled support for
Hindi language in gnome-language-selector.I have following input
methods enabled in ibus preference window

*Hindi inscript (m17n)
* Hindi phonetic (m17n)
* Hindi itrans (m17n)
* Hindi remington (m17n)
* Hindi typewriter (m17n)

 a snapshot for the same can be seen here
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5705518106929667058

Also you can see in this snapshot that these methods do come in drop
down menu of ibus

https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704771437325752466

 I open libreoffice and press Ctrl+Space so that I can type in Hindi.
I am able to type in Hindi.

When the input method is off as in this snapshot
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5705519585633896530

then I am able to type in Hindi with following kind of keyboard
/usr/share/m17n/hi-typewriter.mim
i.e. by pressing key  "h" letter प  gets typed. Which is expected behavior.

Now comes the problem upon selecting the method phonetic as in this snapshot
https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704771437325752466

pressing key  "h" letter again प gets typed. Which is not expected.As
per my understanding the keymap for phonetic input method in this case
is

/usr/share/m17n/hi-phonetic.mim and given that input method phonetic
is already selected
upon pressing key "h" letter "य" should get typed.

That means that selection of different input methods has no effect on
typing. So is ibus not working properly or I missed some thing?
How can I get expected behavior when selecing different input methods
in ibus preference window?

http://goo.gl/7DknS
Regards
Abhi