Crash on mouse move after updates

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 21:50:59 UTC 2012

On 02/03/2012 04:29 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> After updates today my 11.10 laptop is misbehaving badly (though I
> cannot be certain it was the updates as I was experimenting switching
> between unity and unity-2d and plugging and unplugging external
> monitors so it is possible something I did there triggered it).  On
> the login screen if I move or click the mouse or touchpad lightdm (if
> that is what it is) appears to crash, the text display appears for a
> few seconds and then the logon screen is redrawn.  If I logon without
> touching the mouse then everything is fine until I touch the mouse
> when again it crashes and goes back to the logon screen.

Usually all I have to do is blow out the cruft off from the laser. But
it works with another version? Wow... I'm not sure which config file
rules the mouse, but mv'ing it to a backup file and rebooting would most
likely fix it? You have a very interesting problem there, Colin! If you
can't move the mouse, not much chance of fixing it from the gui. Can you
boot with the install disk and use the rescue mode to see if that works
at all?? Ric