Ubuntu Precise Alpha 2 interferes with Ubuntu Natty

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 3 17:45:19 UTC 2012

On 3 February 2012 17:20, Alain Muls <alain.muls at telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have two root partitions which I use sequentially to install two
> versions of Ubuntu. The current one and during the beginning of a new
> release the previous ubuntu is on the other partition.
> My home is on a separate partition used with both root systems.
>
> Today I choose to wipe the Natty (11.04) root system (I am comfortable
> with Oneiric 11.10) and tried to install Precise Alpha 2 onto its
> partition.
>
> The install did not finish, it got stuck with a message similar to
> "clearing system files from previous install".

I am guessing that you did not tell it to reformat the partition you
were installing onto and that it somehow got confused by something (or
nothing) that was on the partition.  Bugs are to be expected after
all, it is an alpha release.

> I aborted after half an
> hour and then I rebooted Oneiric.
>
> Now if I enter the dash Application (Super-A), I no longer have the
> application 'tab', only the home, folders&files, google docs (where
> does this one comes from??) and music. This quite annoying since I can
> now only luanch apps using the launcher or from a terminal.

I have seen this occasionally, or something similar, it recovers when
I log out and in again.  This may not help in your case but worth
trying if you have not already.

Colin