moving data from home directory to home partition

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Thu Feb 2 04:06:52 UTC 2012

On 02/01/2012 11:59 AM, Default User wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I run Ubuntu 11.10, home user, single user setup, no lvm, nothing exotic.  For simplicity I have just 2 partitions:
>
> /  (bootable, ext4)
> linux-swap
>
> So all of my data (except system and application-generated configuration files, etc.) is in the /home directory of /.  I have heard a number of users recommend a separate home
> partition, that it makes things easier when updating or upgrading.
>
> So could I just:
> 1) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to create a new, separate home partition
> 2) use the Ubuntu install routine from a "live" media to mark the new partition as "home"
> 3) reboot
> 4) move the data from /home to the new home partition
> 5) reboot again
>
> Would that work?  Or should I just wait until 12.04 and do a fresh install with a separate home partition then?

Well, you could do it either way. Both... Intricate.  What I would do is to add a second drive, partition it (you have to put partitions on) mount it temporarily some where (/mnt2?)

move everything from /home to /mnt2.  edit /etc/fstab to make the new disk/partition mount on /home and reboot

easy peasy!