LibreOffice spreadsheet question, can cells expand as you type?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Feb 1 15:27:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 09:50:34AM -0500, Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> On 02/01/2012 09:40 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> >Maybe this just isn't how spreadsheets work but here's hoping.
> >
> >Is there a setting somewhere in LibreOffice spreadsheet that makes cells
> >expand as you enter characters?  By that I mean can you make the whole
> >column grow (and stay grown) rather than the default that grows just the
> >cell where you're entering text and then truncates the view when you
> >leave the cell.
> >
> >... and as a corollary to that is there a way to show only cells with
> >data in them rather then the default 'much larger than the window'
> >layout?
> >

> I don't think so, Chris. Caveat: I'm not a power user. But the only
> way I know of to expand a cell is manually, keying off the cell with
> the largest number of characters. Format->Column->Optimal width.

I want different widths for different columns.  ... and even then the
setting doesn't "stick".  I want to set a column to 'fit' for the *next*
time I type stuff into it, I don't want to have to fit it again every
time a column gets a bit wider.

> There may be power users out there who have discovered an automatic
> way to do it.
>
> Hope this helps until a real expert comes along!  ;-)

OK, it's not as if a spreadsheet is really what I want anyway, it just
seems to be the default for storing data in columns/rows easily.

I *really* want a database which provides me, quickly and easily (i.e.
not down a maze of menus etc.) with a way to enter data in columns ad
rows.

--
Chris Green