how to type in hindi

Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:15:25 UTC 2012

On 02/01/2012 03:48 PM, Abhishek Dixit wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার
> <toshazed at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Dear Abhishek
>>
>> 2012/2/1 Abhishek Dixit<abhidixit87 at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> I have only English US keyboard.I am using the same to type in Hindi and
>>> where exactly are these system keyboard preferences?
>>

>> 1. You have to switch between Hindi and English keyboard layouts while
>> typing.
>>
>> 2. Go to the Unity Global Menu on the left of the desktop screen and there
>> you will get System Settings Application Icon. Click and in the new window
>> you will have the Keyboard Layouts Application.
>>
> I am not able to understand what you suggested.I am using only one
> keyboard that has English US layout.
> It is a laptop I have used sanskrit 99 font also on the same machine
> and I was able to type in Devnagri script without doing any of the
> extra things which you are mentioning but things are not working with
> Lohit Hindi font.

I will suggest using iBus. We run a Hindi site Kalkion.com and all the
content is composed using Ubuntu/iBus.

 From Software Center install iBus and also m17 engine for Hindi. Then
configure Hindi. Now you can easily switch between Hindi/English just by
hitting Ctrl+Space key.

If you have questions let me know and we can do an article about how to
type in Hindi on Muktware.com.

Swapnil