throttling DAR with cpulimit problems, bash script

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 09:52:21 UTC 2012

I have some overheating problems, so have resorted to cpulimit.

DAR can be set to pause between slices.  Making it pause then requires
human input to press enter to continue the backup process (making
slices).  I check the CPU temp and if it's not too bad make another
slice.  When using the pause flag, I can't get DAR to make multiple
slices, I just get output as so:

root at dur:~#
root at dur:~# dar -c /home/thufir/Desktop/thufir2012dec25 -s 880M -p -b -z -
R /media/sda2/home/thufir/
[1]+ Stopped dar -c /home/thufir/Desktop/thufir2012dec25 -s 880M -p -b -z
-R /media/sda2/home/thufir/
root at dur:~#

https://github.com/opsengine/cpulimit/issues/22

and don't get the next slices.  Normally, DAR should prompt for the next
slice.

Leaving off the pause flag will peg the CPU leading to overheating.
Generally, cpulimit will come to the rescue and I can throttle the
problem down.  In this case, I throttled DAR down a bit and it created
fifty some slices fine, but crapped out and didn't generate the crucial
last slice.  I went back and used the pause flag -- a real hassle.  It
only missed a few slices, I think four slices.

I can't think of why it missed out on the final few slices, but
throttling DAR doesn't seem to work.  I have one more backup, larger than
the one just completed; would a bash script work for DAR?

Perhaps just check the cputemp, and, if it's in range, then press "enter"
to create the next slice.  Else, wait one minute and check again.  Would
that work?

thanks,

Thufir